18 April 2006

Tuesday's Foot Study

Plug your noses everybody 'cause it's smelly down here! The foot, I learned, is easier looked at as two sections or systems. The ankle system and the heel system. The ankle system starts with the ankle and includes the navicular bone, and the three cunieform bones I numbered as 1,2, and 3. Then their respective metatarsal bones and phalanges. The heel system includes the heel bone, the cuboid, and the two remaining metatarsal bones and phalanges. The heel is built to support the weight of the whole body while the arc is our own shock absorber. The big toe only has two phalanges while all the others have three. I copied a sketch of Leondardo's study of the foot and on the pinky there's only two and I read that often the middle phalange and the end phalange merge making it look like there's only two. I ran out of time this morning studying the foot. There was so much to take in I'll have to study this again soon!

No comments: