17 April 2006

Masterpiece Monday #1: Chuck Jones

It's a shame that Chuck Jones' personal work isn't more well known than it is. I find his personal art work simply amazing! I chose one of his personal paintings as my first study. Here it is:


I like this picture for several reasons. My older brother has been pounding into me something simple for the last few months. A composition is interesting when you have a foreground, a middle-ground, and a background. It sounds simple but it's amazing how often it is overlooked or forgotten. I say my brother has been pounding it into my brain because I forget about it easily. Here, Mr. Jones used his focus as the foreground. He then has a few umbrellas and a man as his middle-ground, and the homes and fence as the background. These three layers create an interesting composition. I also like how he conveyed the feelings of form on the man and dog by using highlights and shadows. They're not complex. In fact, to me, they look almost block-like but it makes the picture believable because it tricks the eye into seeing form and volume. Lastly, I just really enjoy how there is still some cartoon influence in this work. I love how he can convey reality in such a convincing manner but when you look more closely you still see the animation influence. If there's anything else that caught your eye be sure to share with me! Thanks!!

No comments: