25 April 2006

Monday's Neck Study

I didn't find too much out about the neck. Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough. I already saw that the neck was made up of seven vertabrae when I studied the spine. I did learn that the highest bone is called the atlas and is responsible for supporting the skull. The bone directly beneath it is called the axis and this rotates when you turn your head. You can hear it grind when you shake your head back and forth. They are shaped like a thick ring and have little hollows and knuckles that fit into each other allowing for flexible movement. Lastly, the 7th bone down from the top is much larger then the six above it. If you look at my drawing of the side view you'll see that the first six rest deep inside the neck but the seventh sticks out. Wow! Looks like I learned more then I gave myself credit!!


No comments: