03 May 2006

Masterpiece Monday #3: Unknown Artist

My grandfather was a pilot in the USAF and he was stationed for several years in Japan. He fell in love with the people and the culture and his entire home was decorated in Japanese decor. I remember as a child falling in love with all the trinkets and paintings and whatever else he had around. They seemed to me like they came from a different world. I have a soft spot in my heart for Japanese art and I'm also a sucker for a good silhouette. So, imagine my love for the two in one piece! I love simplicity for several reasons but mainly because (at the fear of sounding redundant) it is simple. There is nothing to confuse you or distract you. It is what it is and there's really nothing else more. This painting is so simple but conveys a lot to me. I'm interested first to hear what it conveys to you. Let me know!! Enjoy!

No comments: